Thanksgiving…yum yum yum…who doesn’t love a reason to sit around and do nothing but hang out with family, watch football (or reality TV) and eat delicious food! Plus you know giving thanks for all the wonderfulness that has happened to you in the past year.
One of the first things that I learned from my mother-in-law was how to make her famous Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Now if you aren’t from the south Mac & Cheese to you probably means opening a box of Kraft or Velveeta and following directions. But if you are from the south it means multiple cheeses, baking pans, butter, cheez its (well in our family)…it means waiting longer then you expected but the results are well worth it.
Mac & Cheese:
- 1 8 oz bag of mild cheddar
- 1 brick of medium cheddar – grated
- 1 6 cup bag of mexican style cheese – Monterrey jack, mild cheddar, queso quesadilla & asadero cheese
- 1 8 oz bag of sharp cheddar
- 1 8 oz bag of mexican four cheese (with cream cheese)
- 2 cups of evaporated milk
- 1 stick of butter (8 tbsp)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of 2% milk
- salt and pepper
- 3 boxes of elbow macaroni
Heat oven to 350F.
Macaroni: Bring water to boil, add a tbsp or so of salt and 1 tsp of olive oil. Add macaroni and bring to boil. Cook for 7-10 mins until tender.Split the macaroni into buttered two pans. Add the medium and mild cheddar cheese to the cooked macaroni. Divide the milk between the two pans. Cheese sauce: In a non-stick pan melt the butter. Add 2 cans of evaporated milk. Heat for about 5 minutes until you can see the milk thickening. In a small bowl or cup crack an egg. Begin whisking it and slowly add a ladle of the thickened milk and butter. Add the bags of cheese and continue mixing so that the cheese doesn’t stick or burn. Add salt and pepper to taste. Melt until the cheese sauce thickens. Add cheese sauce to the macaroni pans. Cover with foil paper and bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes. While baking make the crust. The yummy yummy crust. Crusts come in different flavors but my favorite is when you use cheez-its.
- 2 big handfuls of cheez-its (jalapeño or regular)
- 3 tbsp of melted butter
- 1/2 handful of plain bread crumbs
- bag of mild cheddar cheese
- small handful of shredded mexican cheese (for additional topping)
Crush the cheez-its and mix them with the melted butter and bread crumbs. Divide in half.Once the mac & cheese is baked. Set the oven on broil. Remove foil and add the divided crust to the pans and broil for 15 mins until the crust is browned. DONE! Buen Provecho!