Now if you are like me then you are obsessed with Buzzfeed’s Tasty Facebook page because what is better than watching short videos where poof…amazing looking food and super fun ideas to give a try! Well I kept seeing the Pad Thai recipe and I love Pad Thai…I mean what’s not to love. So I wanted to make it and I was also craving ramen noodles (I know it sounds weird but give it a shot!)
- 2 packages of ramen noodles (doesn’t matter what flavor because you aren’t using the flavor packet)
- 2.5 tbsp of sesame oil
- 1 package of extra firm tofu *see below for preparation*
- 1.5 cups of pad thai sauce (taken from Tasty) (divide in two)
- 1/4 cup of each of the following fish sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and siracha
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup of crushed plain peanuts
- 1/4 cup of chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
Drain the water from the tofu. Cut tofu brick in half. Place on a kitchen towel(s).
Cover both sides and weigh down with a heavy pan for about an hour.
Remove the towels and wring out the water. Place the tofu back on the towels and drain for another hour. Once you get as much water as you can out of it place into a shallow dish and pour half of the pad thai sauce over the tofu. Lay out in one layer and cover with plastic. After 45 mins flip and place back in the fridge for another 30-45 mins. Tofu is very very bland so you want to marinate it as long as possible.
During the final marinating minutes of tofu, cook the ramen according to the package instructions. Once cooked set aside in a bowl and add 1 tsp of sesame oil and set aside.
After you marinate the tofu you want to brown it on all sides. Use 1/2 tsp of sesame oil to brown the tofu. Once browned set aside.
Add another 1/2 tsp of sesame oil and cook the eggs into a hard scramble. Set aside.
Add 1/2 tsp of sesame oil and cook down the shallots.
Once the shallots are cooked down add the cooked noodles, the eggs, tofu, sauce and mix it until everything is combined. Turn off heat. Add carrots, green onions and bean sprouts. Mix again. Serve with peanuts and cilantro on top.